Centers for Disease Control National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Advisory Board on Radiation and Worker Health 123rd Meeting Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The meeting convened telephonically at 11:00 a.m., Eastern Time, Ted Katz, Designated Federal Official, presiding.

Members Present:

Henry Anderson, Member
Josie Beach, Member
Bradley P. Clawson, Member
R. William Field, Member
David Kotelchuck, Member
Richard Lemen, Member
James E. Lockey, Member
Wanda I. Munn, Member
David B. Richardson, Member
Genevieve S. Roessler, Member
Phillip Schofield, Member
Loretta R. Valerio, Member
Paul L. Ziemer, Member
Ted Katz, Designated Federal Official

Registered and/or Public Comment Participants:

Nancy Adams, NIOSH Contractor Isaf Al-Nabulsi, DOE
Bob Barton, SC&A
Ron Buchanan, SC&A
Chris Crawford, DOL
Dory Grace
Stu Hinnefeld, DCAS
Jeff Kotsch, DOLO
Greg Lewis, DOE
Jenny Lin Naylor, HHS
Jim Neton, DCAS
Lavon Rutherford, DCAS
John Stiver, SC&A
Tim Taulbee, DCAS

Contents

Centers for Disease Control National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Advisory Board on Radiation and Worker Health 123rd Meeting				
Tuesday, June 26, 2018				1
Roll Cal	Roll Call/Welcome			
Special Update	Exposure	Cohort	Petition	Status 4
Update from Work Groups and Subcommittees 5				
ORNL Update				6
P	Argonne East Update Dose Reconstruction Subcommittee Update Metals and Controls Update			6
_				Review 7
N				8
Dose Reconstruction Subcommittee Update Continue				Review 8
S	Subcommittee on Procedures Upda			
Plans for the August 2018 Board Meeting 1				ng 12
Adjourr	1			15

Proceedings

(11:03 a.m.)

Roll Call/Welcome

Mr. Katz: Welcome, everybody. This is the Advisory Board on Radiation and Worker Health. This is our teleconference meeting to plan for our August face to face meeting, essentially. There is an agenda posted on the Board web site, but it's really very simple and there are no materials, so I don't think anyone needs to go there.

Roll call. There are no conflict of interest agenda items, so we don't need to deal with that. And I know most of the attendance, so I'll run through the attendance.

(Roll call.)

Mr. Katz: Okay. And just let me remind everyone to mute your phones except for when you're speaking. Press *6 to mute your phone if you don't have a mute button and *6 to take your phone off of mute again. And please no one put their call on hold.

Okay then. That does it for the preliminaries, and we can go to LaVon with SEC petition status updates.

Special Exposure Cohort Petition Status Update

Mr. Rutherford: All right. Thanks, Ted. For the August Advisory Board meeting we will be presenting an addendum for SEC 188 to Sandia National Lab, Albuquerque and we'll address at least a portion of the remaining years. We will also be presenting the De Soto Avenue petition, and that's for 1965 to 1995. Those are the only two new petitions that we will be presenting. And that's it. And I was going to say there will be updates probably by the Work Groups on open petitions, but those are the only new ones.

Mr. Katz: Thanks, LaVon. Any questions from Board Members for LaVon?

Member Ziemer: This is Ziemer. What was the number on the De Soto petition?

Mr. Rutherford: Oh, geez. That's the -- one of the newest petitions. I actually didn't write the number down, Dr. Ziemer. I will get it here in a second.

Member Ziemer: Oh, okay.

Mr. Rutherford: 246, but I will --

Member Ziemer: 246?

Mr. Rutherford: I will verify that.

Mr. Katz: Yeah, it is 246.

Mr. Rutherford: Yes. Okay.

Member Ziemer: Okay. Thank you.

Member Munn: Thank you, LaVon. We've always appreciated those brief reports.

(Laughter.)

Mr. Rutherford: Wanda, I appreciate you, and I will miss you on this board.

Member Munn: You be good to yourself.

Mr. Rutherford: You, too.

Mr. Katz: Okay. Very good. No other questions for LaVon?

(No audible response.)

Update from Work Groups and Subcommittees

Mr. Katz: Okay. Updates from Work Groups or Subcommittees, as necessary. Just chime in.

Member Roessler: Okay. Am I off mute?

Mr. Katz: Yes.

ORNL Update

Member Roessler: Thank you. This is Gen. I didn't hear anybody else speaking, so I can give an update on ORNL.

Mr. Katz: Yeah, please do.

Member Roessler: Okay. On March 29th the Board received the ORAU report 90, a long-awaited report on -- the title of that I'll read. Monitoring Feasibility Evaluation for Exotic Radionuclides Produced by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory Isotopes Division. A long report, as I had mentioned before, well-organized, well-written. I'll mention Joe Guido was the lead on that.

This report we did have in time for our Board meeting in Oak Ridge. It was then referred to SC&A for review on April 26th. Subsequently SC&A asked for some clarification on some items, and NIOSH has responded on that.

The word I have from Jon Stiver this morning is that Ron Buchanan at SC&A is working on that, and it will be on his priority list for July.

Mr. Katz: Thank you.

Member Roessler: That's all we have on that.

Mr. Katz: Thanks, Gen.

Any questions?

(No audible response.)

Mr. Katz: Any other Work Group or Subcommittee reports?

Argonne East Update

Member Clawson: Yeah, Ted. This is Brad. I just wanted to mention we're having our first Argonne East meeting tomorrow.

Mr. Katz: Right. Thank you.

Member Anderson: Who's on that committee now?

Mr. Katz: I'm sorry. Who's on Argonne?

Member Anderson: Yes.

Mr. Katz: Brad and -- hold on a second.

Member Beach: Josie.

Mr. Katz: Josie, Loretta, and Gen.

Member Anderson: Okay.

Mr. Katz: Yeah.

Member Anderson: Because that wasn't on your list,

but I guess --

Mr. Katz: No, because nothing changed.

Member Anderson: -- no members have changed.

Mr. Katz: Yeah, no change. No changes to that committee. That's why.

Mr. Katz: Any other Work Groups?

Dose Reconstruction Review Subcommittee Update

Member Kotelchuck: Dave. Our Dose Reconstruction Review Subcommittee is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, July 24th. We'll be working an agenda and getting it out to people soon.

May I also ask was it -- were all of the suggested revisions in the Work Groups and Subcommittees approved as you suggested them?

Mr. Katz: Yeah, I think so. What I'll do is I will send you out an updated list, complete list, the existing as well as the new ones after this call. I wanted to give a chance because I hadn't heard from just a few people, like David Richardson, but I want to give you the rest of this month basically for any other comments. But otherwise, it all seems good and everyone seems happy with their lot.

Member Kotelchuck: Good.

Mr. Katz: Yeah.

Metals and Controls Update

Member Beach: And, Ted, this is Josie. I'll just give a really brief -- we had a meeting for Metals and Controls on May 3rd. There's still some work to be done, and I'll be giving a more in-depth report at the August meeting since we'll be in that area.

And I also have a question for you, Ted. Is it possible to do a tour of Metals and Controls while we're -- in August?

Mr. Katz: I'd be happy to look into that. I don't know if we have -- we have Greg on the line, and we also have the -- NIOSH on the line. I don't know if anyone wants to speak to what is there that might be toured at this point.

Member Beach: Yes, there may not be anything.

Mr. Katz: I'm not sure, but let's hear from someone who knows the site.

Mr. Lewis: Well, I mean, this is Greg. I haven't looked into it. I don't -- as far as I know there's nothing that could be toured, at least not -- no government facility. I don't know what's there in terms of a company-owned facility, but I'm imagining there wouldn't really be an opportunity to tour anything. I can look into it though.

Member Beach: Yeah, I suspected that, too. I just thought I'd ask.

Mr. Katz: Yeah, thanks, Josie. So we'll get back to you on that. I don't recall if we've ever actually toured an AEC facility, but --

Member Beach: Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Dose Reconstruction Review Subcommittee Update

Continued

Member Kotelchuck: Dave again. As the (telephonic interference) the Dose Reconstruction Review Methods Work Group, just wanted to tell people, particularly members of the Committee, that I plan with Ted to gather materials about the -- relevant to the Methods Committee work and send that out this summer for people to look over and then try to schedule a meeting in the fall. And we'll contact you later early -- probably early in the fall, or maybe actually later in the summer for -- to try to pick a date.

And probably I think it would be valuable for our first Methods Working Group Committee -- Working Group to meet face to face after discussion of the materials. Maybe we'll have a telephone discussion, a telephone conference call and then follow up with a face-to-face meeting, or we may decide to do a face-to-face. We'll talk about that later in the summer and early fall. Okay?

Mr. Katz: Okay. That sounds good. Thanks, Dave.

Yeah, and I will get out those materials. I mean, you're familiar with those, Members of that Work Group, but I mean -- and the most important ones I think are Mark Griffon's report and the Board's discussion of Mark's report, as well as the Work Group's meeting over Mark's report that just preceded the Board meeting.

So you all have those materials, but I will send them out again just to make that easy in case -- for convenience.

Any other Work Groups that want to address the agenda.

Subcommittee on Procedures Update

Member Munn: This is Wanda. There are a couple of things that I probably would point out as I ride off into the sunset here. With respect to Blockson, we

now have SC&A's report on the SEC issues. There's all that to do about overtime. You have that report, and at some juncture fairly soon that needs to be addressed so that SC&A can be properly responded to.

With respect to the Subcommittee on Procedures, you may remember that at our Oak Ridge meeting we were scheduled to do a -- to do three presentations, and because of the way our schedule fell out we ended up doing only two of the four, so that we still have OTIB-34 left over. I think everybody was set for it last time, but that's on the Board's -- yet to be presented to the full Board.

We have one issue that's been transferred from Fernald. Well, I guess there's actually two findings, Findings 17 and 19, beta correction factors, that we have not addressed at all. And that's on our plate. At the openers we had a lot of PERs. SC&A's been - or Kathy's been producing lot of what we need to address with the PERs.

We've got PER-77, Simonds Saw. We've got -- oh, that's -- I think that was sent to us for review, if I remember correctly. PER-80 might be also a subtext for General Steel. We have -- there's a lot of interested PER-80 ones, so it's been a long time in coming, but probably it's just about ready to take a look at fairly soon. We have PER-73, Birdsboro. 52 -- OTIB-52. PER-81, Hooker. 76, Aliquippa Forge.

We've been anticipating that we probably would be needing a meeting toward the end of summer, and given what I see on our plate already it looks like that's not an appropriate thing to do. We have -- I would note that there are one or two other things we anticipate from SC&A very shortly. We have more than enough to be putting together a meeting right now. So that will be your first task with the new makeup of the Subcommittee.

And with that I think I've said all I need to say. That's what I'm leaving you. And sorry about that, but there's always something.

(Laughter.)

Mr. Katz: Thank you, Wanda. Well, there will -- there are always new procedures anyhow and there are -- and just -- and you know not all of those that she listed and -- the Board had been delivered. Certainly not all of them have been responded to from NIOSH that have been delivered.

So, but we will -- I will work with our new Chair and membership for that Subcommittee and get that together and have a meeting. And think Wanda's guesstimate about timing is about right. It's probably going to be early fall given that we need two months for the Federal Register notice and so on, or late summer.

Member Munn: Yeah, I didn't even mention the issue about our sampling plan. We've had a quite a discussion in Procedures about whether the sampling -- our QA Sampling Plan is adequate. And there's been a lot of effort to try to identify what real standards are. But we -- that's still hanging and needs to be addressed.

And I guess my parting comment needs to be that I am very, very pleased with the fact that the Subcommittee on Procedures has been so useful in its ability to get the Board reporting system put together, get most of the bugs worked out of it, and get it operable so that the entire Board and all of the Work Groups and Subcommittees have access to it and now are using it pretty heavily. And we are very pleased with that because I don't know how we deal with any of this otherwise.

So thank you to all of the folks who have been so instrumental in getting that particular tool ready for us and functioning and in operational condition. Thanks.

Mr. Katz: Yeah, thank you, Wanda. And I think all of us second that.

Any other Work Groups, Chairs?

(No audible response.)

Plans for the August 2018 Board Meeting

Mr. Katz: Okay then. Hearing none, then let me get to plans for the 2018 meeting, and some of this has been mentioned by a couple Chairs, some of this material, so -- and by LaVon, so it won't be a surprise, but let me just run through what I have right now sketched out.

We have the usuals. Following that we plan for on Fernald, Site Profile, to try to close out the Site Profile Review. There's a little bit of work on the table still, so we'll need a Work Group meeting first. And provided the material on the table, SC&A delivered a report very recently that NIOSH is going over on one issue that still needs to be worked out by NIOSH, or considered. And they're hard at work at that. So I'm hopeful that we'll have a Fernald Work Group meeting late July or early August. Actually we have much of August, if you need it, before the Board meeting for that. But so we have -- I have that sketched in.

I also have, as LaVon mentioned, a Sandia Petition 188. I have that in. And that looks like it could go, which is great. I also have procedure reviews. We don't have a lot of time for issues there, but we definitely have -- I have on there to address a variety of issues, as you recall, from the last Board meeting related to skin doses. OTIB-17, Findings 7 and 15 and the Overarching Issue 9. I think Wanda mentioned these.

So those were discussed and needed additional responses. And I think that's getting put together and hopefully will work out. And we'll take a look at what else Wanda mentioned, but again, we don't have a lot of time for that as the day is sketched out so far at least.

Metals and Controls. I have that on there for a full hour-and-a-half so that Josie can present. I know the petitioner has lots of thoughts, and it's a good opportunity for them to speak to the Work Group and the Board. So we have that the first day.

The second day I have the INL SEC petition. There's still the whole earlier element of the proposal to add a class there to get worked out. We'll need a Work Group meeting before, July or early August, to make that ready, but I don't think there's -- will be a lot of work left at that point to do. So I think it should get -- be ready for that Board meeting.

And then finally, last but not least, we have the De Soto presentation and discussion as well for the new De Soto Petition 246.

So do you have any questions about those items or about items that I haven't mentioned that one might think ought to be on the agenda?

Member Ziemer: So, Ted, we do -- this is Ziemer. We do have that carryover issue on OTIB-52 that you recently distributed the materials from Jim Neton relative to Dr. Richardson's question from a previous Board meeting that had to do with the use of -- what was called the Fairweather database. Do you recall that carryover? Is that on the agenda?

Mr. Katz: I do recall it. I don't have it on the agenda because I circulated it to all the Board members. It wasn't necessarily needing more discussion, but that's what I left open to you I think in my email to say if someone has issues they need to discuss about that, then we'll put that on the agenda, or we can handle it during the Board's work session as well. But I'm not certain that there -- it's left with major questions, because that -- the issue that David Richardson raised had actually already discussed by the Board previously and -- or at least by the Work Groups and without any discomfort and addressed by SC&A.

So I'm not certain it needs to be on the agenda, but it's --

Member Ziemer: And I wasn't sure if there was an

action required or whether it was just an information request.

Mr. Katz: Yeah, so there's -- if any Board Members feel like that needs to be discussed further, absolutely I'll put it on the agenda. Otherwise, I think it doesn't need to be there.

Member Ziemer: Okay.

Mr. Katz: But that's open to you all.

Any other matters?

Member Munn: On that same vein, Ted, one of the things I failed to mention is the discussion that we had -- I'm not even sure in which venue, I believe in an open Board meeting, when we had a discussion about how we are reporting the closure of findings on the BRS. We had commented that it might be wise of us to differentiate between the Subcommittee or Work Group closing something and the entire Board closing something. I'm not sure how we were going to address that precisely. In most cases, with Procedures anyhow, we have pretty much followed the protocol of just saying that the Subcommittee closed the finding at some point.

And then of course the gist of the discussion as I recall it was that we as a Subcommittee really don't have the authority to close these findings out, or as a Work Group, that they really are closed out by the Board. And then there was some concern about whether or not we needed to differentiate that more clearly in our closure comments, but I don't know whether -- I don't -- didn't have the feeling that had been put to bed thoroughly.

Mr. Katz: That's spot on, Wanda, but I have addressed that. That was a discussion at the last Board meeting. And I have followed up with NIOSH on that, and they're looking into how to get that done. But absolutely there needs to be a proper accounting of when the Board closes matters in the BRS.

Member Munn: Okay.

Mr. Katz: And we'll get that sorted out. But they're looking into what's been done. I'm not even sure whether in some cases the BRS has that accounting ready, but I know definite -- in many cases at least, and so we're following up on that and figuring out a plan forward for that. Thank you.

Member Munn: Yes.

Mr. Katz: Anything else?

(No audible response.)

Adjourn

Mr. Katz: Okay then. And I think that takes care of our agenda for today. There's no correspondence to discuss.

So thank you, everybody, and I'll be getting some emails out to you shortly.

Member Kotelchuck: Ted?

Mr. Katz: Oh, go ahead.

Member Kotelchuck: This is Dave.

Mr. Katz: Yeah?

Member Kotelchuck: The plans for the August coordinating, you didn't say where.

Mr. Katz: Oh, I'm so sorry. Yeah. So it is in Providence.

Member Kotelchuck: Okay.

Mr. Katz: It is in Providence. And we'll be getting the hotel information out to you as soon as we have a contract and --

(Simultaneous speaking.)

Member Kotelchuck: Very good. Okay.

Mr. Katz: Yeah. Thank you for asking that, Dave.

Member Kotelchuck: Right.

Mr. Katz: Yes.

Member Munn: And if you're going to give me the last word, I would like to say to each and every one of you you certainly will be missed, and my wish for all of you, your road rise up to meet you and the wind at your back. You all have good lives. Bye-bye.

Mr. Katz: And similar sentiments to you, Wanda.

Member Kotelchuck: Yes.

Mr. Katz: All right then. At this point I think we are adjourned. Thank you, everybody.

(Whereupon, the above-entitled matter went off the record at 11:30 a.m.)