U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL NATIONAL INSTITUTE
FOR OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH

+ + + + +

ADVISORY BOARD ON RADIATION AND WORKER HEALTH

+ + + + +

121st MEETING

+ + + + +

WEDNESDAY

FEBRUARY 21, 2018

+ + + + +

The Advisory Board met telephonically at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time, Ted Katz, Designated Federal Official, presiding.

#### PRESENT:

HENRY A. ANDERSON, Member

JOSIE BEACH, Member

BRADLEY P. CLAWSON, Member

R. WILLIAM FIELD, Member

DAVID KOTELCHUCK, Member

WANDA I. MUNN, Member

GENEVIEVE S. ROESSLER, Member

PHILLIP SCHOFIELD, Member

LORETTA R. VALERIO, Member

PAUL L. ZIEMER, Member

TED KATZ, Designated Federal Official

ALSO PRESENT:
NANCY ADAMS, NIOSH Contractor
ISAF AL-NABULSI, DOE
BOB BARTON, SC&A
ZAIDA BURGOS, NIOSH
JOE FITZGERALD, SC&A
STU HINNEFELD, DCAS
JEFF KOTSCH, DOL
JENNY LIN, HHS
JOHN MAURO, SC&A
JIM NETON, DCAS
JOHN RAMSPOTT
LAVON RUTHERFORD, DCAS
JOHN STIVER, SC&A
TIM TAULBEE, DCAS

## Contents

| Roll Call and Welcome 4                          |
|--|
| Upcoming Need 6                                  |
| Special Exposure Cohort petition status update 9 |
| Updates from Work Group Subcommittees 12         |
| Plans for the April 2018 Board Meeting 19        |
| Board Correspondence 25                          |
| Adjourn  |

#### P-R-O-C-E-E-D-I-N-G-S

(11:01 a.m.)

### Roll Call and Welcome

MR. KATZ: Okay, it's 11 o'clock, so let's get rolling here. Welcome, everybody. This is the Advisory Board on Radiation and Worker Health, our teleconference.

The agenda for today is posted on the NIOSH website, under the Board section, schedule of meetings, today's date. If you don't already have it, you don't really need it. It's a pretty simple agenda today and easy to follow along. And there are no other documents for the meeting, so it's a pretty simple agenda today.

Some preliminaries. Please, everyone, mute your phones except for when you're addressing the group. And for people without a mute button, press \*6 to mute your phone, \*6 to bring yourself off of mute. And please, no one put the call on hold at any point.

Yes, I think that takes care of preliminaries.

So the first thing I have to say is, which I think almost everybody knows, if not everybody, but we are -- the Board is chair-less at the present. Dr. Melius passed away in January unexpectedly. We have not had a new chair designated.

So I think we're all feeling a little lonely without Dr. Melius. And related to that, we'll talk about the agenda for April later, but on the agenda will be a -- we'll have an honoring of Dr. Melius as part of that.

Okay, let me get started with roll call and I'll begin --

(Audio interference)

MR. KATZ: Someone is not muted. So I think everybody but the Board Members should be muted right now. Press \*6 to mute your phone if you don't have a mute button.

And let's do roll call alphabetically.

(Roll call.)

MR. KATZ: Okay, let me just circle back then to Board Members, make sure we still

don't have them. Dr. Lockey, have you joined us?
Or Dr. Poston? Dr. Richardson? How about Dr.
Ziemer?

Okay. Well, we have nine Members present, which is a quorum. So we're okay. So, off we go.

All right, first item on the agenda, there are a couple things I'll note. The new HHS Secretary, Alex Azar. And he is very familiar with HHS because he's worked at the highest levels of HHS previously.

And the good news for us is he's familiar with us, too, and I can say a Board charter is coming up in March, and he's already approved that so you guys will have a new charter for another couple of years, which is good. So, takes care of that.

# Upcoming Need

All right, I don't know, let's just switch one thing around on the agenda. Before we get to LaVon and the SEC petitions update, let me just note, I have on here, we're going to need

new Work Group chairs and/or members, because if we move a member to the chair spot then we'll need a new member, but there are a number of Work Groups that Dr. Melius chaired.

Those include the Dose Reconstruction Review Methods Work Group, the SEC Issues Work Group, the Hanford Work Group and the Surrogate Data Work Group. And all of those Work Groups actually have some work to address at some point, not necessarily ready yet.

But my plan for that is to wait. I am hopeful that we'll have a designated chair before the April Board meeting. And I would like to give some time for that to allow that chair to weigh in on designating chairs for these Work Groups.

But, in the meantime, I think it would be good for us to get together volunteers from among you, to either chair or be a member if need be. If you're not on one of these Work Groups, for any one of these four Work Groups.

So, again, it's Dose Reconstruction

Review Methods, SEC Issues Work Group, the Hanford Work Group, and the use of Surrogate Data. And all of those could use the additional member or someone to step up as chair.

So you can just send those, send me your wishes by email, I'll collect those. And then we'll have those in hand.

And if it looks like it's going to be a long process before we have a new designated Chair for the Board, we may move forward on some of these so that we don't have the work sitting idle while we're waiting for a chair.

MEMBER ZIEMER: Paul here, Ted.

MR. KATZ: Oh, Paul, great.

MEMBER ZIEMER: Yes.

MR. KATZ: Thanks. Okay. And I hope you just caught that note that I just made about new chairs and --

MEMBER ZIEMER: I just hit the end of it.

MR. KATZ: Okay. All I was saying was, for Dose Reconstruction Review Methods, SEC

Issues, Hanford and Use of Surrogate Data, those four Work Groups, we're going to need new members and/or chairs for each of those.

MEMBER ZIEMER: Right.

MR. KATZ: So, if you want to volunteer for any of those send me an email.

MEMBER ZIEMER: Right.

MR. KATZ: And I'll collect those together. And I wasn't planning to make that selection myself, unless it seems like a long time coming for us to get a new Board designated Chair.

MEMBER ZIEMER: Right.

MR. KATZ: But I'm going to wait for that.

MEMBER ZIEMER: Yes.

MR. KATZ: I hope. Okay, so then next on the agenda is LaVon's SEC petition status update. LaVon?

### Special Exposure Cohort petition status update

MR. RUTHERFORD: Yes. Okay, thanks, Ted. I think our first thing, key to note, is we

will not be presenting any new SEC evaluations at the April Board meeting.

We had anticipated presenting the Sandia addendum. However, Sandia was unable to provide us the information requested in time for us to complete the evaluation. They are currently scheduled to have the information to us by early March.

I do want to point out, the longer it takes for them to get us the information the closer we get to not being able to make the August meeting.

I will make sure, I've been talking to Greg Lewis, and in fact he's been out, but I'll keep Greg Lewis up to date on this and make sure he is aware of it. And I know Isaf is on the phone so I'm sure she's writing this down.

We had one new SEC petition that has qualified and we are moving forward with the evaluation. The petition is for the De Soto Facility, and it's for all employees from 1965 to 1995.

So, again, we have no new petition evaluations for the April meeting. And we are currently evaluating one new petition for the De Soto Facility. And that's all I have.

MR. KATZ: Okay. Thank you, LaVon.
Any questions for LaVon?

MEMBER CLAWSON: Hey, LaVon, this is Brad. Why are we having trouble getting this information? What's the hold-up according to Sandia?

MR. RUTHERFORD: Well, you know, we've actually been working with them for a while to get the information. I do appreciate that Greg Lewis has put a lot of effort into pushing forward, however, there is some -- I don't know what to say. They're just, they're running late.

They have committed that they will have it to us by March 2nd. So as long as they get it to us by then, we will make the August meeting. I can't really say much more than that, sorry, Brad.

MEMBER CLAWSON: Okay. So it's not a

funding issue or anything else like that, it's just the workload and stuff that we have seen at other sites.

MR. RUTHERFORD: Right.

MEMBER CLAWSON: I understand that. I just wanted to make sure if it was funding issues that that's something we can take care of relatively fast.

MR. RUTHERFORD: Yeah. No, it's not funding at all.

MEMBER CLAWSON: Okay. That's all I wanted to make sure, thanks.

### Updates from Work Group Subcommittees

MR. KATZ: Okay, any other questions?
All right, moving on, then, to these that are as necessary: updates from Work Groups and Subcommittees, either about work completed or ahead.

MEMBER BEACH: Ted, this is Josie,
I'll go ahead and start with LANL. And mostly
I'm asking for an update from LaVon. We were
looking at maybe doing some interviews and I was

just kind of wondering, LaVon, if you can let me know where that stands.

MR. RUTHERFORD: Yes, I can. Well, actually ATL is working on the coordination for that. And we have identified the individuals, at least a list to start with, of individuals.

And I actually had drafted an email to the Work Group yesterday looking for, one, Work Group Members who wanted to participate in the interviews, as well as SC&A, and what their availability would be. I'll send that out right after this meeting and you guys can respond to me.

And then from that point we'll work on putting together the interview sheet. I think the Work Group is going to be involved and SC&A may have a lot of the key questions for that.

But, yes, it's in the process, we've been doing it. Actually, I've been a little bit behind on getting the email out to you guys.

MEMBER BEACH: Okay, thanks for the update, we'll look for that.

MEMBER KOTELCHUCK: LaVon?

MR. RUTHERFORD: Yes.

MEMBER KOTELCHUCK: This is Dave. You sent the Committee Members an email about your updating work on Rocky Flats, looking at the boxes at LANL. Would you like to report on that to the larger group?

MR. RUTHERFORD: Sure, I can. We actually had, as most everybody remembers, that we identified, it was roughly 6,200-and-something boxes at LANL.

We actually worked with the site to get good indices pulled together of what those boxes contained. And we were able to narrow the -- working with SC&A and the Work Group, we were able to narrow it down to 46 boxes.

We were looking for information that potentially -- or looking for items to review that may identify magnesium-thorium alloy at the site. So we looked at key things like engineering orders, purchase orders, you know, design drawings.

We ended up looking at a number of welding operations. Different things that we looked for that may identify magnesium-thorium alloy.

We also had identified, in our review process, some health and safety procedures and a few other things that we wanted to review while we were out there as well.

One of the key things we found out when we got out there was roughly 80 percent of all of the documents at LANL, from Rocky Flats, are radiographs. So that gives you a feel, you know. And so if you were looking at it, roughly 1,200 boxes were non-radiographs. And we identified a number -- I think we went down to 46 boxes of which 39 we were able to review.

Some of the boxes had been consolidated. And we also had to cut some of -- two boxes that were still with the attorneys at LANL.

And, again, we reviewed all those documents. That was myself, ORAU Team, and Ron

Buchanan with SC&A. And we did not identify anything associated with magnesium-thorium alloy or HK-31, which is the other name. And that's it.

MEMBER KOTELCHUCK: Yes, let me thank you for following up on that because that was a matter of concern. And thanks for all that work. For you and DCAS.

MR. KATZ: Okay, any other Work Groups want to update the Board?

MEMBER ROESSLER: Ted, this is Gen.
Can you hear me okay?

MR. KATZ: Yeah, you're perfectly clear.

MEMBER ROESSLER: Oh, good. Okay, I have an update on Oak Ridge, ORNL/X-10. I got an update from Lara Hughes, who's the NIOSH lead at this facility. And she said we are still working on the report on exotic radionuclides. DCAS has decided to turn this into a report format. And it's currently undergoing this change.

The plan is to have this submitted to

the Work Group in March 2018. The reason that they're making this change is, she said a White Paper would require us to post the references on the DCAS website, and since this report has so many, it would delay the release until all references are cleared. So that's the reason for changing this to a report format.

So it looks to me like things are moving along. And I have a question, Ted, on the Oak Ridge meeting. Is there a tour being planned?

MR. KATZ: Yes, I was going to get to that, but I can talk about that now. So, yes. I haven't got a final date for the tour, but I have it confirmed that there will be a tour. And it will definitely cover Y-12.

The outlying, actually outlying issue is ORNL, because they haven't responded with whether they can make either of the two possible dates, which would be on either side of the meeting, before or after.

But they have been, DOE is following up on this. They asked them again earlier this

week to please let them know whether either of those dates work.

And so I'm hoping to hear something back soon this week, because we also have to settle our hotel business as to what night people might be staying so that we can set the contract. But we do have a hotel for this, too, in Oak Ridge, so that's good. Yeah, that's my update there on that.

MEMBER ROESSLER: Okay, Ted. I would mention, then, to remind the Work Group, Field, Lemen, and Valerio, if we do get something on X-10 that I think it would be good for all Work Group Members to be able to go on the tour, if that's possible.

MR. KATZ: Sure.

MEMBER ROESSLER: Okay, thank you. That's it.

MR. KATZ: All right. Okay. And I'll remind -- since Dr. Lemen is not on this call, I'll remind him about that, too. Thanks, Gen.

Okay, any other Work Group

Subcommittees want to update the group?

MEMBER MUNN: Nothing from Procedures.

MR. KATZ: Okay.

MEMBER KOTELCHUCK: Nothing from Dose Reconstruction Review.

MR. KATZ: Okay. Dose Reconstruction has a meeting coming up in March.

MEMBER KOTELCHUCK: Correct. March 13.

MR. KATZ: Right. So I can update a little bit on --- Science Issues did meet. And very productive on the DDREF report that they're reviewing.

Then we have tentatively scheduled, well we've scheduled a meeting for March 23rd. I think somewhat tentative because it just depends on whether the Work Group Members or NIOSH are ready to do anything at that meeting, present more information, what have you.

### Plans for the April 2018 Board Meeting

If not, then that meeting won't necessarily be useful. And otherwise it will be

on the agenda for the April Board meeting. I have the intention, I'll get around to that. Actually, I can get around to that now because that's the next on the agenda.

I will also mention, SRS Work Group met and there are tasks that are being pursued for their work. So it was a productive meeting earlier in the month.

Okay. So, for the April Board meeting, let me see where we're at. We've covered the tour. So that will be either before or after. And many of you are interested on the Board, so that's great. It's also about time, it's when we usually do the annual ethics training, so we'll try to take care of that. I've got that confirmed, Ms. Stromberg at HHS said she can do that. She'll probably do that remotely again.

I have, in the morning, 15 minutes for honoring Dr. Melius with Dr. Ziemer presiding. And, Paul, I don't remember what date you gave folks, but I know you wanted -- would like to get their input.

MEMBER ZIEMER: Yes, I asked for things to be in by the end of this month. A number of you have already sent things but there is a number that haven't yet. So if you plan to, go ahead.

I'd like to have several weeks to get it ready so don't forget to do it, okay?

MR. KATZ: Okay, good. Good, that was the opportunity to plug in. Yes, okay.

Oh, by the way, just trailing back, I already have a response so we definitely can do ORNL on April 10th. That's the day before the Board meeting. And so the only question is whether you'd prefer it on the 12th. But that seems good.

So we could confirm for the 10th, the day before. I don't know whether Board Members have any preference of doing it before the Board meeting or after the Board meeting.

MEMBER ROESSLER: It doesn't matter to me.

MEMBER MUNN: It just matters with

respect to travel time I guess.

MR. KATZ: Well, it just means you would start your travel sooner, so if you had to be there on the 10th for the tour.

MEMBER MUNN: 10th sounds good to me.

MR. KATZ: Okay. I'm not hearing any negatives on the 10th. Okay, good.

Okay. Okay, after Dr. Melius' session there are the usuals. Then we also have, Dick isn't here to talk about this, we did have the Weldon Spring Work Group meet offsite. I should have reported that when we were talking about Work Groups.

And they finished up their business, reviewing the Site Profile. So that will get presented at the Board meeting.

And then we have, as a possibility, and I'm just scheduling this today, a Fernald Work Group meeting. So, depending on how that goes, whether the matters still on the table get settled or not, we may have Fernald Site Profile review presentation as well.

If that falls through, because we can't get that work finished before, then we'll fill it in with procedure reviews. We already have several others prepared for the last Board meeting, and we can add to that if need be.

Then, after lunch, a session on Dose and Dose-Rate Effectiveness Factors for Low-LET Radiation. It's a big report that the Science Issues Work Group is working through.

And we have the agreement of Dr. David Kocher from ORCRA to present. He's one of the lead authors of that report and he's going to present to the full Board to get everyone sort of up to speed on that, what that material is.

On that, we have another, that's tentative, of Dr. Jim Neton. And I don't know if you can provide an update or a likelihood but I have Pacific Proving Grounds Site Profile review.

As you all recall on the Board, there was one little matter sort of to wrap up. We took care of most of the Site Profile review at a previous Board meeting. And maybe, Jim, if you

could just tell us where we are, if that looks likely.

DR. NETON: Yeah, Ted, it's me. I just checked yesterday, the database is nearing completion, the entering of data. I just don't have a feel yet for how much data manipulation is involved, and I'll try to get back to you sooner than later on that. Hopefully sometime this week or early next week.

MR. KATZ: Okay. I mean, we have some time, right?

DR. NETON: Yes.

MR. KATZ: So that's good. And then if it makes sense, depending on how complex the whole matter is, we may or may not need a Work Group before the Board meeting to considering what -- the work that's been done.

Okay. And then we have the usual work session, SEC petitions update. And then ending the day we'll have the Oak Ridge Facilities update that Dr. Hughes will give.

And then public comment. And that's

what the agenda looks like. Any questions, suggestions? Okay then.

One other note I will just make. We're going to be in Oak Ridge and I think we should reach out to [identifying information redacted]. I don't know what others -- I can do that or Paul or Gen. Have any of you been in touch with [identifying information redacted]?

MEMBER ZIEMER: Yes, we can call [identifying information redacted] if you want us to. Yes.

MR. KATZ: Okay. I just thought it might be nice to see her if that ends up being convenient considering we're staying.

MEMBER ZIEMER: Sure. We'll let [identifying information redacted] know.

MR. KATZ: Okay, that's good. All right, and that takes care of plans for the April Board meeting. Again, I hope we have a chair by that time.

#### Board Correspondence

Board correspondence. So we've have

a number of letters since the December Board meeting. We had one from Ms. Blaze dealing with CLL and specified cancers, which I've addressed, and I think I kept you all informed about that.

We have another, couple of letters from Mr. Yeager to Stu on sort of broad matters of DR and IREP. Since those were addressed to Stu and DOE was just copied on the letters after the fact, I think we could just wait and see what the program, how the program responds. I'm not sure that that would be something for the Board to need to respond to following that.

And then we have also, а correspondence from Ms. Hand related to reconstructability οf exposures to metal tritides. And the program responding to that and shared that with the full Board and individually most of you responded on that and concurred with the program's response on that.

And that's all the correspondence that we've had in this period. Any questions about any of that?

# Adjourn

Okay, then, that gets us through the agenda. And unless anyone has something else, last call, then we can adjourn. And thank you all.

(Whereupon, the above-entitled matter went off the record at 11:31 a.m.)